Welcome to International Fake Journal Month 2013!

What is IFJM?
Please read the page "What Is IFJM" for details.
Learn the difference between Faux, Fake, and Fake Historical Journals.

2019 IFJM Celebration
IFJM has been suspended indefinitely. Please read the pinned post about this below.

Participants who Post Their Journals
A list of 2018 participants who are posting their fake journals this year will appear near the top of the right side bar of this blog around April 6. Lists of participants who posted their pages in 2010 through 2017 appear lower in the same column. Please pay them a visit and check out their fake journals.

View a Couple of Roz's Past Fake Journals
Roz's 2009 fake journal takes place in an alternate Twin Cites, where disease has killed the human and bird populations. (It ends up being an upbeat tale of friendship.) Watch a video flip through of Roz's 2009 fake journal here.

Read an explanation of Roz's insanely complex 2011 fake journal.

Tips on Keeping a Fake Journal
Click on "tips" in the category cloud.

Remember, "Life's so short, why live only one?"


Friday, April 22, 2016

April 4 Entry in Roz's 2016 Fake JournalT

The finished page: 10 x 16 inch watercolor
board (cold press) with warm up sketches
at the bottom. See the rest of the post for other views.
Day 4 was the best so far, because of course I was visiting with my friend Tom and able to work on the fake journal at the same time.

This is the board masked off during the
drawing process.
You can see the warm up sketches and the final sketch I made as the first image in this post, but I thought you would also like to see the fun my character had with masking. You can see that in the other images. Click on them to view an enlargement.

The mask was in place as she drew with the PPBP and then she painted only the exposed area of the board as you can see in the second image. Later she removed the mask and she added it to the back of the board as shown in one of the photos.

Here's the mask saved on the back of
the board.
To save time the REAL Roz masked the board all up before Tom arrived and the bottom portion of the yellow mask folded down over the warm up area when warm up time was over. I felt this was the most respectful thing to do to not waste Tom's time. (Portrait time under 50 minutes including warm ups and painting.) We'll never really know if the character would have been that respectful, but I think she would have been, based on the little I've gleaned.

2 comments:

MHBD said...

I love your watercolours Roz. Amazing glazes!
I wish I could do something so stunning in 50 minutes!

Roz Stendahl said...

Thanks MHDB! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm grateful I have friends who sit for me so I can have lots of practice!